Friday 10 August 2012

Olympics Inspire a Generation


The Olympics are in full swing and Great Britain is winning loads of medals. If you compare our small country to the larger countries of USA and China, then, per population, we are actually doing much better than either of these countries.

The cheering and roar of the crowd is amazing, not just for our own athletes but also for other competitors. The organisation and broadcasting must be given top marks and I think it will be recorded in history as a memorable Olympic games of which we can be proud.


The Olympic Park looks very impressive and was completed in good time so cheers for the workmanship involved. The opening ceremony depicted everything British which I thought was professionally performed, however I was not too keen on the middle section depicting the music eras as I was left feeling a bit confused. The rising chimneys and the lifting of the Olympic rings made from 'molten metal' was incredible.




The British athletes have all performed very well with Jessica Ennis rightly earning her title as the face of the Olympics. It was a pleasure to watch the cycling events as this sport is available to anyone. I prefer to cycle than walk and I have my cycle 'gear' ready and waiting.






Apparently Bradley Wiggins originally hails from Wigan and still owns a house here so I might find myself on the same cycle path when I take a ride on my own bike!




One of my daughters is currently a volunteer at the hockey events and although it is hard work with long hours, she appears to be enjoying her time there. Another daughter watched the triathlon and was at the finish line to watch the Brownlee boys winning their gold and bronze medals.

My grandson is a member of the Liverpool swimming club which has coached many of our top swimmers in the past. As part of the 'Inspire a Generation', some of the Team GB Olympic swimmers are touring the country and are to visit the Liverpool club to swim with the members. I know I am biased but my grandson is a very good swimmer and he may be inspired to swim at the Olympics in 2020!

I have enjoyed these Olympic games as I have been able to see most of the events live throughout the day. Luckily the weather hasn't wreaked havoc on any of the events as we have had such a wet summer so far.  I hope that the London Games will be remembered for their success, efficiency and friendliness and that the ideal to inspire the next generation into sports of any kind, will happen, because lets not forget, we British invented most of them.

Well done Team GB

No comments:

Post a Comment