Thursday 6 September 2012

Remember the List



I need a list! My brain functions more clearly when I can see my priorities and I have a plan. I have always been a keeper of lists as there were so many things to remember and not enough space in my head. Now I have a lot of space in my head but I can’t remember anyway. I am a person who needs to visualise the big picture then develop a plan to get there, or have a ‘to do’ list in order to set aims and objectives. 

I found the list that I made before I retired and it contained many of the activities that I couldn’t do whilst I was working.  It is true that the older you are, the faster time goes by. It is 12 months at the end of this month since I left my employment and took an early pension. My house is now cleaner, odd jobs caught up with and hobbies explored, so I now look towards the longer term.  My husband only retires in another 17 months and we then intend to downsize the house and move to a different area. When children are small and dependant, stability for schools and friends is important and for parents, it is the access to work that determines where to live. Now, as children have flown the nest and work is a thing of the past, there is no longer any need to stay where we are and the prospect of more exiting areas is appealing. I hope it is not a case of ‘the grass is greener etc’.

At the moment, my big picture is to live part of the year in England and part in France. My husband and I will need to decide on an area in England so that we can downsize. We prefer to have a house that is near to either a river or a lake so that John can fish, that will be a necessity whether in England or France. In the meantime I should revisit my ancient ‘O’ level French and learn more conversational French. 

So, my pre retirement list is over 12 months old and I have been too busy to look at it! So a list is not the answer then – maybe sticker notes. I could stick them on the fridge, on the computer, or on the wine rack maybe. Bright idea – I could use the ‘to do’ notes on my mobile phone, then I will have a list that I will remember to look at. 

 If only I could remember where I put my phone. 
In the fridge maybe??

No comments:

Post a Comment