Friday 5 October 2012

Shades of Autumn

Autumn has arrived, the leaves are turning into lovely shades of brown and yellow and the nights are getting longer. I can't believe it is now 12 months since I retired.

Had some wonderful news yesterday as my son has been offered his first job since leaving university. When I hear of the millions of young people who are unemployed, I thank God for his opportunity. If I compare the circumstances of those young people who are beginning a career today, to the time when I started my first employment as a cadet nurse in 1969, there are little similarities. In the late 1960's I was easily able to choose my employment, unemployment was a thing of choice with my peers. Now I hear of so many of our young people who desperately want to work but have little opportunity, even if they have a degree. I worked for the same employer for 33 years whereas now, people are no longer committed to lifelong careers but may change careers a few times. I am so relieved that I am now receiving my pension and am not at the beginning of my working life, but I do worry about the prospects for my children in having a decent retirement. They will probably never be able to retire either due to inadequate pensions or government rulings.


As autumn displays its colours, the shops are beginning to stock their Christmas items and my thoughts turn to making Christmas gifts to sell. I have already made two sets of Christmas place mats and matching coasters.  I have a list of ideas and am currently making a Father Christmas soft toy doll. Please feel free to look in my online shop at www.http://folksy.com/shops/essell

 So as I look back over the last twelve months, I feel content in my own 'autumn' years and I look at my four grown up children and they all take my breath away with pride and love.
 Looking forward to the next twelve months.

No comments:

Post a Comment