Tuesday 3 April 2012

Rant of the week

 
I don’t rant often. Usually I am slow to anger and I get annoyed by injustices but this time it is due to incompetence, or to be precise, incompetence by the Post Office. Against my better judgement, I used the Check and Send service offered by the P.O. for a first time passport application for my son. This service is described as stress free, speedy and ensures the application is completed correctly. How wrong can you be?

The application was returned a week later as a whole section had not been completed. OK, I admit I had read the note on this section which said it was to be completed if the child was less than 16 years old so I skipped that part. Now, on further reading, it also said it was to be completed if it was a new passport application. So I skipped it because I thought it was for a child, however, the cashier who was checking the application surely should have noticed this important fact as she was told that it was a new passport application. She checked the form on two separate occasions, was offering a service to ensure it was correct, and then missed it completely!!

To make matters worse, I telephoned the passport department who informed me that the P.O. often get it wrong and it was an expensive service and that I would have been better advised if I had spoken to their office instead for free. GRRRRR!!! I now have to complete the application again and hopefully it will be returned in time for our holiday.

Of course I complained to the P.O. who readily offered a refund and an apology but that is quite flippant and does not address their professional incompetence and misleading advert. If a company advertises a service, it should do what it says on the tin. My rant is about the frequency of failure of this service and of being misled by advertising from a reputable company which resulted in a stressed, time consuming, double hassle, application.

It’s good to rant, it gets rid of the stress that you were promised you wouldn’t have! I will keep you ‘posted’ of any new developments

No comments:

Post a Comment