Thursday 8 November 2012

Christmas Is Coming



Busy at the moment making Christmas gifts and toys for three upcoming local Christmas fayres. I love having a stall at fayres, not that I make much money but the fellow stallholders I meet and some of their stories are very interesting. People who just love doing what they do, not to make a fortune but to spend their time doing things that make them happy. How many people can truly say that they have their dream job?

The time of year also makes a difference as hopefully people are seeking that unique gift that doesn't cost a fortune. I have always loved Christmas time and all the preparation. Christmas has always felt special and surrounded by family, makes it the perfect time of year.

When I was a little girl, one Christmas day holds a cherished memory. I was about 7 or 8 years old and I knew I was getting a doll because my mum had bought it at Woolworths for £1.10 shilling or £1.50 in today's money. When it was bought it had no clothes and was in a plastic bag. I was totally unaware that my mum had been busy making clothes for that doll so that when I saw it on Christmas day, it was sat up in a pram, with a wardrobe that any grown woman would have envied. It had knickers, underskirt, a dress and an outer coat with matching bonnet. Mum had also made pram blankets and pillows. I was speechless. I named the doll Jacqueline and I still have her to this day, but sadly, not the clothes. I recently found the clothes pattern that mum must have used and only now am I aware of the time and care it must have taken for her to make that beautiful outfit. I intend to use that same pattern for my granddaughter's dolls.

I hope that I am able to be the maker of a toy or accessory that stays in the memories of another little girl this Christmas day. The photo shows some of my soft toys, 2 soft toy elephants. Please feel free to view a small selection of my gifts by following the links on my web page at  - https://sites.google.com/site/essellartandcrafts/.

Take the time to visit some of the craft fayres and support the people who make wonderful items and gifts

Happy shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment