Saturday 24 November 2012

Further Change

After settling down into a new phase in life, another one rears its head, but this is a good next phase as my husband John, has decided to retire next March, so both of us will be fancy free. Of course it will bring new major changes as we have always said that when we no longer have work commitments, we will downsize to a smaller house in a new area. Now we will need to decide where we want to live as where we live, will no longer be dictated by commuting time or school access. The problem is - what does downsizing really mean?. In my case, it probably only means one less bedroom as it is useful and sometimes necessary to have extra space!

It is important to have something useful to do when you are retired, in order to keep the mind agile and the body active. My hobbies are dressmaking and oil painting and John has decided to try his hand at making the 'flies' used when fly fishing. We could eventually both sell our creations at craft fayres, side by side. At a recent craft fayre there was a man who had retired and put all his time into his hobby of painting which he was selling and they were excellent, but his poor wife was a 'painting widow' as his hobby took over all his time. I can relate to that because when I paint, I become so absorbed in what I am doing that time passes without my knowing. John and I should be well suited if we both have separate hobbies to occupy our time and he also wants to test his joinery skills in making garden furniture and accessories and of course, he will be able go fishing more often. So 2013 will hopefully be a lucky year for us both as we certainly have a few big decisions to make.

Christmas fayres are in full swing now and I'm busy trying to finish all my Christmas shopping before we set sail on our cruise next month. I'm looking forward to 2013 when John and I will be able to please ourselves for the first time in 41 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment